Conversion to Kindle format
An unexpected 12 hour layover in Delhi airport gave me time to learn how to format books for the Kindle.
I started with the book in Microsoft Word format. I converted that to HTML, then used Dreamweaver to strip out the junk tags that Microsoft inserts. I spent some time inserting cross references, so that readers can jump from one section to another, and putting in images.
Then I ran the HTML file through Calibre (free ebook software) to produce the book in MOBI format, which can be uploaded to the Amazon DTP site. You can use MobiPocket Creator instead – it produces smaller files, but I found that the layout produced by Calibre was closer to what I wanted.
The tables were the hardest part. I tried to do them in simple HTML (using Dreamweaver) but unfortunately they don’t show properly on the smaller Kindles. So I took screen shots of the training programmes, rotated them, converted them to GIF files, and put them in to the file as images.